Joe Krown is known for his New Orleans style piano playing, as well as his prowess on the Hammond B-3. He was nominated twice (and won once) in the Blues category for The Big Easy Awards. He is perhaps best known as the keyboardist for Gatemouth Brown, a position he held from 1992 until Gatemouth passed away shortly after Katrina, in the fall of 2005. As part of Gatemouth’s band he has performed as the opening act for Eric Clapton on a 62 date world tour and was featured on Carlos Santana’s Carlos Presents Blues at Montreaux 2004.
Joe played himself in Season 1, Episode 4 of HBO’s series Treme, and one of his songs was featured as background music in Episode 1 of Season 2.
Raised in Westbury, Long Island, New York, Joe started playing piano while attending the State University of New York at Buffalo. He left the university to pursue a career as a professional musician and became part of a jazz-rock band called Bellevista. In the 1980’s Joe moved to Boston where he formed his own band. He also joined part of Chuck Berry’s back up band and toured with him on the East Coast. In the late 1980’s Joe joined ex-Muddy Waters guitarist Luther “Guitar Junior” Johnson’s band, with which he toured and recorded two albums.
Joe’s first solo album, Just the Piano…Just the Blues debuted on STR Digital Records in 1998. Since then he has performed regularly both as a solo artist and with the Joe Krown Organ Combo, Joe Krown’s Swing Band, and the Joe Krown Trio.
- 1997 Just the Piano...Just the Blues (STR Digital) solo piano
- 1999 Down & Dirty (STR Digital) Organ Combo
- 2000 Buckle Up (STR Digital)
- 2002 Funk Yard (STR Digital) Organ Combo
- 2003 New Orleans Piano Rolls (STR Digital) solo piano
- 2004 Sansone, Krown & Fohl (ShortStack)
- 2005 Livin' Large (Joe Krown) Organ Combo
- 2007 Old Friends (Independent) Joe Krown Trio
- 2008 Live at the Maple Leaf (Independent) with Wolfman Washington & Russell Batiste Jr.
- 2010 Triple Threat (STR Digital) with Wolfman Washington & Russel Batiste, Jr.
Works with Luther "Guitar Jr." Johnson
Works with Gatemouth Brown
- 1994 The Man (Verve/Gitanes)
- 1997 Gate Swings (Verve/Gitanes)
- 1999 American Music, Texas Style (Verve/Blues Thumb)
- 2001 Back to Bogalusa (Verve/Blues Thumb)
- 2003 Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown" in Concert (in-akustik - DVD)
- 2006 Carlos Santana Presents Blues at Montreux 2004 (RED Distribution - DVD)
- 1998 Bobby Charles / Secret of the Heart (Stony Plain)
- 2000 Kid Ramos / West Coast House Party (Evidence Music)
- 2003 Mathilda Jones / There's Something Inside Me and It's Called the Blues (Southland)
- 2004 Amanda Shaw / I'm Not A Bubble Gum Pop Princess (Little Fiddle Records)
- 2004 Bobby Charles / Last Train to Memphis (Rice 'n' Gravy)
- 2005 Juice / Hey Buddy (DJR)
- 2008 Bobby Charles / Homemade Songs (Rice 'n' Gravy)
LinksOfficial Web Site
STR Digital Site
Joe Krown" rel="external">iTunes Artist Link